The Detroit Economic Club’s Career Readiness Academy is a 7-month program that brings high school and Young Leader (YLs) members together for monthly meetings that aim to teach skills that will help the students effectively navigate their high school journey to find greater success in the working world. The same team of YLs and students meet each month which not only provides the opportunity for more personalized attention but also forges important mentor-mentee relationships.
Stay tuned for session updates from the year!
- 2019 - 2020 CRA by the Numbers
- CRA Sponsors & Partners
- Participating High Schools
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Interested in 2020 - 2021?
- 23 Participating High Schools
- 100 Young Leader Volunteers
- 360 Metro Detroit High School Students
Thank you to our 2019 - 2020 Career Readiness Academy Sponsors & Partners!
For more information on sponsorship opportunities, please email Matt Valant at email@example.com
- Personal Brand Field Trip
- LinkedIn + Resumes
- Career Assessment
- Career Exploration
- Advanced Manufacturing + Skilled Trades Field Trip
- Interview Skills + Mock Interviews
- Networking/Young Leader Place of Employment Field Trip
- CRA Survey + Next Steps
- Graduation at a DEC Meeting
2019 - 2020 Participating High Schools
- Advanced Technology Academy
- AGBU Alex & Marie Manoogian School
- Central Academy
- Dakota High School
- De La Salle Collegiate High School
- Detroit Collegiate Prep at Northwestern
- Divine Child High School
- Farmington High School
- Ferndale High School
- Frontier International Academy
- Golightly Career & Technical Center
- Hazel Park Schools
- International Academy East
- International Academy of Macomb
- Jalen Rose Leadership Academy
- Madison High School
- Melvindale High School
- Oak Park High School
- Osborn Academy of Mathematics
- Regina High School
- Southeastern High School
- Southfield High School for the Arts and Technology
- Utica Academy for International Studies
Session 1 Focus: Personal Brand
The 2020 CRA launched with an all-schools-together session on Personal Branding at MotorCity Casino Hotel. DEC Board Member John Fikany energized and mesmerized students with entertaining stories of the importance of authenticity and kindness.
Session 2 Focus: LinkedIn
Building on the topic of Personal Branding, students created LinkedIn profiles during this session. Then YL mentors helped students understand the role of LinkedIn and how it can benefit their future careers.
Session 3 Focus: Career Assessment
During this session, students focused on exploring ways to discover careers and the range of careers. In addition, they were taught to develop an awareness on how society and technology may impact future careers.
Session 4 Focus: Career Exploration
This session focused on understanding career economics, career education/training, personal budgets and the impact of choices.
Session 5 Focus: Advanced Manufacturing + Skilled Trades + Emergency Services Training
Students traveled to Oakland Community College (OCC) - Auburn Hills Campus to learn about the vast opportunities in advanced manufacturing, skilled trades and emergency services.
2019-2020 School and Volunteer Applications are now closed.
Interested in 2020-2021 CRA? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.