YOUNG LEADER MISSION STATEMENT:
To create platforms for professional and personal growth, connectivity, and service for our regional young leader community.
Under the age of 40? Join over 1,000 of your peers in the largest organization in Michigan for this age group.
- CEO Series Meetings
- Professional Development Seminars
- Networking Events
- Volunteer Opportunities
- YL Conference
- YL Board of Directors
- YL Board Eligibility
CEO SERIES MEETINGS
“I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO ESTABLISH DIALOG WITH SOME OF THESE HIGH RANKING EXECUTIVES THAT IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM WOULD THERE HAVE EVER BEEN A FORMAT PROVIDED FOR ME TO HAVE THAT TYPE OF ACCESS.” – CAMERON HUTCHERSON, YL BOARD MEMBER
The DEC Young Leader CEO Series is a special speaker series offered exclusively to DEC Young Leader (YL) members (under 40 years of age). YL meetings offer exposure to the insight and expertise of Detroit Economic Club’s distinguished executives.
In these meetings, DEC YLs engage in vital discussions with our region’s prominent leaders and also have the opportunity to network with their peers.
To maintain an intimate dialogue between YL participants and the speaker, meeting attendance is capped at 50.
Previous CEO Series Meetings:
- Rick Hampson @ Emagine Royal Oak
- Tom Lewand @ Shinola Headquarters
- The Honorable Dave Bing @ Bing Youth Institute
- The Honorable Debbie Dingell @ University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Betsy Meter @ Cobo Center during NAIAS
- Angie Kelly & George Lenyo @ Rebel Nell Studio in Ponyride
- Chris Lambert @ Durfee Innovation Society
- Dr. Ora Hirsch Pescovitz @ Oakland University – The Oakland Center
- Linda Apsey @ ITC Holdings
- Dr. M. Roy Wilson @ Wayne State University – Tierney Alumni House
- Gerry Anderson @ DTE Energy
- Ric DeVore @ Detroit Historical Museum
- Tony Michaels @ The Parade Company
- David Cohen @ Waterview Loft
- Matt Elliott @ Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
- Sandy Baruah @ Detroit Regional Chamber
- Patricia Mooradian @ The Henry Ford
- Rod Alberts @ Cobo Center during NAIAS
- Joseph Mullany @ Detroit Medical Center
- Florine Mark @ The WW Group, Inc.
- Great Lakes Chamber Music Festival @ Wasserman Projects
- Ben and Ryan Maibach @ Barton Malow
- Keith Pretty @ Northwood University Troy Campus
- The Honorable Mark Hackel @ Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
- Joyce Jenereaux @ Detroit Free Press
- Heather Paquette @ NAIAS
Check out our Speaker Archive for more meeting photos.
Professional Development Seminars
DEC Young Leaders (YL) are encouraged to sharpen their professional skills and build their member network with exclusive Professional Development Seminars throughout the year.Previous Professional Development Topics:
- Own, Control and Protect Your Time
- Develop Personal Resilience & Resolve
- What It Means to Be a Leader Today!
- Networking to Succeed
- Get on Board! Basics of Nonprofit Board Service
- Ask Questions That Get Results!
- Confident Communication
- Optimizing LinkedIn
- Personal Finance for Millennials
- Negotiations – Developing Personal & Professional Influence
DEC Young Leaders (YL) build their member network with exclusive Networking Events for YLs throughout the year.Previous Networking Events:
- Punch Bowl Social, Detroit
- TopGolf, Auburn Hills
- Holiday Mix & Mingle @ Great Lakes Culinary Center
- A Healthy Tailgate Demonstration Kitchen @ Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital
- Detroit Axe, Ferndale
- Home Alone @ The DSO
- Annual Detroit Tigers Game @ Comerica Park
- Sunset Cruise on the Detroit River @ Detroit Port Authority
- Farewell to the Joe! @ Joe Louis Arena
- Holiday Mix & Mingle @ Detroit Beer Company
“THE CAREER READINESS ACADEMY WAS FANTASTIC. NOT ONLY WAS I ABLE TO CONNECT ON A PERSONAL LEVEL WITH OTHER YOUNG PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY OUR TEAM CONNECTED WITH A GREAT GROUP OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. SEEING THEIR GROWTH FROM THE FIRST CLASS TO ACADEMY “GRADUATION DAY” WAS AN UNBELIEVABLY REWARDING EXPERIENCE.” – DEREK SHINSKA, YL BOARD MEMBER
DEC Young Leaders (YL) have many unique volunteer opportunities for service.
Career Readiness Academy (CRA): YLs can volunteer to mentor high school students in the DEC’s Career Readiness Academy.
CRA is a seven-month program where teams of DEC Young Leaders provide career mentorship to the same students at Southeast Michigan high schools.
For more information or to become a volunteer please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Share Your Career Path Story: YLs can volunteer to talk about their career paths and answer questions about their industry.
At every DEC meeting 80 high school and college students attend a Student Reception where they have a special Q & A session with the DEC speaker of the day. At the conclusion of the Q & A session, YLs can share their career path experiences with the students prior to the lunch. Students love hearing anecdotes and stories from people not that far removed from their age. It’s a terrific way for you to invest 30 minutes that might end up changing a student’s life!
For more information or to become a volunteer please send an email to email@example.com.
"Day of" Volunteer: YLs can volunteer to assist DEC staff with set-up, registration, directing guests, etc. at regular DEC meetings.
For more information or to become a volunteer please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Leader Conference
“The Young Leader Conference has continued to grow and is far and away the best place for metro Detroit’s up and coming leader community to network and be inspired. This year we will be looking at 'The Future of Work' and how we elevate our knowledge, skills and capability to create meaningful and engaging careers. If you want to be energized, equipped and excited about the impact you can make in Detroit and beyond, this is the place to be!” – Stephanie Murphy, 2019 YL Conference Chair
DEC Young Leaders (YL) can participate in the annual YL Conference whose goals are to develop, inspire and connect. The conference is typically held in September in Detroit.
This one-day professional development conference created and programmed by YLs, allows attendees to:
- Develop: Hear powerful keynotes and breakout sessions delivered by successful C-suite executives and civic leaders.
- Inspire: Nourish and motivate the leadership skills within yourself as you learn new and effective ways for personal development.
- Connect: Over 400 YL’s are waiting to expand and strengthen their networks by meeting their YL peers who are also eager to learn and expand their networks together.
This is one conference you won’t want to miss!
Save the Date!
Friday, September 25, 2020
MotorCity Casino Hotel
YL Board of Directors
YL Board Chairperson
YL Board Members
Corporate Governance Director
District Dean, Regional Training Center
Middle Market Commercial Banker
Marietta Boyd II
Director - Individual Philanthropy
Director, Global Mobility & European Compensation and Benefits
Senior Vice President
Senior Sales Manager
Director, Sales & Marketing
Katrina De Hart
Senior Financial Analyst
Founder / Executive Producer
RPLU - Client Executive
Key Account Manager
Director of Corporate Initiatives
Founder & Owner
Assistant Vice President, Treasury Management
Group Sales Manager
Director of Operations & Chief of Staff
Corporate Relationship Manager
Partner, CFA, CFP
Associate Director of Investment Banking
Talent Acquisition Manager
Senior Vice President & Partner
Vice President, Marketing
Senior Principal, Litigation Practice Group and Resident Director, Detroit Office
Manager, Detroit Community Partnerships
Manager of Strategic Partnerships
YL Board Eligibility Considerations
- Must be a DEC Young Leader Member for a minimum of 1 year and current on DEC membership dues (YLs must be under the age of 40)
- Serve as a volunteer on a Career Readiness Academy Team and/or serve as a frequent “day-of” volunteer for regular DEC meetings (minimum of 1 year)
- Serve as a volunteer for DEC YL Conference Planning Committee (by invitation only)
- Attend and support DEC YL programming
YL Board Commitment
- Attend 75% of DEC YL board meetings to remain in good standing (4 - 6 meetings per calendar year)
- Join and actively participate in one of the following subcommittees:
- Professional Development
- Maintain an active YL membership
- Attend and support DEC YL programming